Two weeks ago, Wiley sent EmaxHealth an excellent Italian cookbook called Carrabba’s Italian Grill: Recipes from Around Our Family Table. If you like Italian food, this book comes highly recommended. Our team tried the Marsala Chicken recipe from the book and now we’re sharing it with our readers.
The Marsala Chicken recipe makes four servings.
A staple in Italian restaurants, chicken marsala is typically stir-fried. In our grilled version, the breast is topped with a marsala, mushroom and prosciutto sauce. Use the sauce to garnish grilled veal, steak or pork chops.
3 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into tbsp, divided
10 ounces of white mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 ounces sliced ââprosciutto (no thin paper), cut into 2 by Â¼ inch strips
3 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Â¾ cup of dry marsala
Â¾ cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, 7 to 8 ounces each
2 tablespoons of Grill Baste (following recipe) or olive oil
1Â½ teaspoons grilling seasoning (recipe follows)
Finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
Please click to subscribe to our Youtube channel to be notified of upcoming health and diet tips.
1. To make the sauce, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the prosciutto and onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion softens, about 2 minutes more. Sprinkle with flour and mix well. Stir in the marsala and broth and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring often, until reduced to about 1 cup, about 5 minutes. Put aside. (The sauce can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 hours.)
2. Prepare an outdoor grill for direct cooking over medium heat.
3. Cut each breast half in half crosswise to make a total of 8 chicken breast pieces. Brush with basting from the grill. Season with the grill seasoning.
4. Brush the grill grate to clean it. Lightly oil the grill. Place the chicken on the grill. Cook, with the lid closed as much as possible, turning after 5 minutes, until the chicken is golden brown and feels firm when the top is pressed with a finger, about 10 minutes total. Remove from the grill.
5. Heat the sauce in the pan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from fire. One tablespoon at a time, add the remaining butter and stir until incorporated into the sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Place 2 pieces of chicken on each serving plate. Pour equal amounts of sauce over each serving, sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.
Grilled Chicken Marsala
Grill the chicken in a preheated grill with the rack adjusted about 8 inches from the heat source. Cook, turning occasionally, until firm when squeezed with a finger, about 10 minutes.
Extract from: Italian Grill of Carrabba: Recipes from around our family table
Wiley – ISBN 978-1-118-19732 (pbk)